Monday, May 26, 2014

Grand Canyon [Nov 08]


I had always been awed by Grand Canyon whenever I had seen it on TV, and so, when I got a chance to go to USA for some work, I was hoping that I will be able to make it to Grand Canyon. Incidentally I had no company to plan this trip, but then I got an invitation by my friend staying in Vegas to come and visit him. What more was needed, I could meet this friend after a long time and could also do some sight seeing around. So I got my flight tickets booked for a long weekend, and also for a one day organized tour to Grand Canyon from Vegas.


All preparations done, I left for Vegas on a Thursday evening directly from work. After reaching Milwaukee airport, I took a flight to Minneapolis, from where I had a connecting flight further. Here the halt was for nearly 4 hours and after the initial roaming around in the airport I didn’t have much to do. I whiled away time listening to music and observing people. Once on board the connecting flight, I reached a stage where I was neither asleep nor awake, in a trance, able to make out people chatting jovially as if in a party, wondering in sleep why is it they are not sleepy, wondering where am I. Soon after I could see the city, dazzling, standing out in the dark night. And the first thing to be seen after alighting the flight is slot machines; that was different. Drive from airport to the house was via the strip and I could see the brightly lit up city up close. It was spectacular with all the lights and activity, seemed so unreal.


Next morning, in spite of getting up early I got late and missed the bus at the pick up point, but fortunately I was able to catch up at the tour office, and soon after we were on our way. Early morning Vegas was very different from the glimpse I had had the last night. With no glaring lights and hustle bustle around, it looked so quite and calm, almost normal. Our tour guide cum bus driver, Hulio, apprised us of the itinerary - a long drive, Hoover dam, lunch break, Canyon & back.
I couldn’t keep my eyes of the window, kept looking outside, didn’t want to miss anything, the terrain, the way it changed, everything just kept me mesmerized. Finally we reached the Hoover Dam, where we crossed from Nevada to Arizona. We stopped for a while to click snaps before moving further. Next stop was for lunch, buffet arranged at some restaurant by the tour. I had my fill of salads, as there wasn’t anything else that I fancied.

Hulio had mentioned that we would be taken to two points in the south rim to view the Canyon, and soon enough we reached the first point. The feeling of being there, and witnessing the grandeur of the Canyon was simply euphoric. It was huge, as far as the eye could see in the clear sky; all that was seen was the Canyon. It was artistically chiseled by nature. Grand, Huge and admirable.

After seeing to our heats fill at both the points, clicking loads of snaps, and browsing through the curio shops, we headed back. By this time, it had started growing dark and so I could no longer take in the view from window. I decided to catch up on my sleep for the remaining journey back to Vegas.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting! Hope you enjoyed your visit and that you can come back sometime when you have more time to spend at the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete