Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fabric of Cosmos


You have got to take my word on this, its a fabulous book. Especially for people who love science but don't want to plunge into the depths, at least for now. I could actually feel the atoms and molecules in my brain working, or should I say the strings comprising those atoms vibrating, haha :D

I wont brag that I could understand everything explained by the author, but then isn’t it difficult to understand something that is beyond your imagination. For instance, time is not constant, it is different for everybody. For a person moving at a very high speed, time ticks slowly than the person at rest. And then, Gravitation manifests itself as the warps & curves of the space. Can you imagine space with curves & warps?? Phew!


So that was the difficulty – imagination. But otherwise it was a very interesting & informative read. I honestly didn’t know so many things, like last I read electron was an indivisible fundamental particle. But it seems it is further composed of quarks.

The book is very well written. Author has explained how our understanding regarding cosmos progressed from Classic physics - Newtons Laws, to Einstein's general relativity to quantum mechanics to todays theories on String/M theory, and also the various possibilities of the origin of cosmos. Towards the end he also mentioned how physicists around the globe are trying to experimentally prove these theories.

With the many examples & analogies, author has really made reading this book fun.

1 comment: