Friday, January 16, 2009

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

Finally a fiction by an Indian author that I liked. Not that I have read many. In fact to be honest I have read very few. But somehow which ever I picked one on India/or by Indian author I ended up either disliking it like that "Mistress of spices" or getting infuriated like that "In spite of the Gods". So anyways this one was a good one.


When I started reading it, it seemed humorous, but later on I realized it was dark humour. It is very satirical. Narration is awesome, I liked it. The author tells the whole story [its a narration in first person, so the protagonist is telling the story of his life] in a form of series of letter (email) to some Chinese ambassador. How he was born in a village, his life in village, how he got a job as driver to a landlord, his driver life in Delhi n then escape & business in Bangalore. He calls himself a white tiger, who has escaped bondage of being a servant & made a life for himself. He calls himself an entrepreneur, as he establishes a business of his own. He escapes from darkness in village to light in city, that's how he has put it. He has escaped the rooster coop. But what about his ways? They are definitely questionable morally! Because whatever said n done he committed a theft & murder. Maybe if he hadn't committed murder I might have liked this character.

He brings into the picture so many problems that exist in India [poverty, corruption, caste, illiteracy etc] , as a part of his life story, in a very casual & satirical way. At first read you feel like laughing but then you realize it is true & cant laugh over it anymore. So that's how the story proceeds. A nice read overall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment